Page images

baggage of every description, and finding the Miamies did not assist us, I drew off the men I had left and took possession of a small elevation in the open prairie out of shot of the bank or any other cover. The Indians did not follow me, but assembled in a body on the top of the bank, and, after some consultation among themselves, made signs for me to approach them. I advanced towards them alone and was met by one of the Potawattamie chiefs called the Black Bird, with an interpreter. After shaking hands, he requested me to surrender, promising to spare

the lives of all the prisoners. On a few moments consideration, I concluded it would be most prudent to comply with his request, although I did not put entire confidence in his promise. After delivering up our arms, we were taken back to their encampment near the fort, and distributed among the different tribes. The next morning they set fire to the fort and left the place, taking the prisoners with them. Their number of warriors was between four and five hundred, mostly of the Potawattamie nation, and their loss, from the best information I could get, was about 15. Our strength was 54 regulars and 12 militia, out of which 26 regulars, and all the militia were killed in the action, with two women and twelve children. Ensign George Ronan, and Dr. Isaac V. Van Voorhis of my company, with Capt. Wells of fort Wayne, are to my great sorrow, numbered among the dead. Lieut. Lina T. Helm, with 25 non-commisioned officers and privates, and 11 women and children, were prisoners when we were separated. Mrs. Heald and myself were taken to the mouth of the river St. Joseph, and, being both badly wounded, were permitted to reside with Mr. Burnet, an Indian trader. In a few days after our arrival there, the Indians all went off to take fort Wayne, and in their absence I engaged a Frenchman to take us to Michilimackinac by water, where I gave myself up as a prisoner of war, with one of my sergeants. The commanding officer, Capt. Roberts, offered me every assistance in his power to render our situation comfortable while we remained there, and to enable us to proceed ou our journey. To him I gave my parole of honor and came on to Detroit and reported myself to Col. Proctor, who

gave us a passage to Buffaloe; from that place I came by the way of Presque Isle and arrived here yesterday.

Letter from Mr. S. T. Anderson enclosing one from Com,

Chauncey to the Secretary of the Navy.

Sackett's Harbor, Nov. 13, 1812.-at night. SIR-Since the enclosed letter from the Commodore was written, the Growler has returned with a prize, and in her Captain Brock, brother to the late General of that name, with the baggage of the latter. By the prize we learned that the Earl Moira was off the False Ducks, and the Commodore has put off in a snow storm in the hope of cutting her off from Kingston.

From information received from Capt. Brock, there is no question but that Kingston is very strongly defended. He expressed surprise to find our vessels had got out of the harbor after having been it; and says that the regiment to which he belongs is quartered there, 500 strong, besides other regulars, and a well appointed militia. The resistance made fully justifies this report. Be assured, sir, that in the action of which the Commodore has given you an account, the national honor has been most ably supported. In great liaste, &c.

SAMUEL T. ANDERSON. Com. Chauncey to the Secretary of the Navy.

Sackett's Harbor, Nov. 13, 1812. SIR-I arrived here last evening in a gale of wind, the pilots having refused to keep the lake. On the 8th I fell in with the Royal George, and chased her into the bay of Quanti, where I lost sight of her in the night. On the morning of the Oth, we again got sight of her lying in Kingston channel. We gave chase, and followed her into the harbor of Kingston, where we engaged her aid the batteries for one hour and 45 minutes. I had made

I had made up my mind to board her, but she was so well protected by the batteries, and the wind blowing directly in, it was deemed imprudent to make the attempt at that time; the pilots alsu refused to take charge of the vessel. Under these circumstances, and it being after sun down, I determined to haul off and renew the attack next morning. We beat up in good order under a heavy tire from the Royal George and batteries, to 4 mile point, where we anchored. It blew heavy in squalls from the westward during the night, and there was every appearance of a gale of wind. The pilots became alarmed, and I thought it moșt prudent to

get into a place of more safety. I therefore (very reluctantly) deferred renewing the attack upon the ships and forts until a more favorable opportunity.

In our passage through the bay of Quanti, I discovered a schooner at the village of Armingstown, which we took possession of, but finding she would detain us (being then in chase of the Royal George) I ordered Lieut. Macpherson to take out her sails and rigging and burn her, which he did. We also took the schooner Mary, Hall, from Niagara, at the mouth of Kingston harbor, and took her with us to our anchorage. The next morning, finding that she could not beat through the channel with us, I ordered the sailing master of the Growler to take her under convoy and run down past Kingston, anchor on the east end of Long Island, and wait for a wind to come up on the east side. I was also in hopes that the Royal George might be induced to follow for the purpose of retaking our prize, but her commander was too well aware of the consequences to leave his moorings.

We lost in this affair one man killed, and three slightly wounded, with a few shot in our sails. The other vessels lost no men and received but little injury in their hulls and sails, with the exception of the Pert, whose gun bursted in the early part of the action, and wounded her commander (sailing master Arundel) badly, and a midshipman and three men slightly. Mr. Arundel, who refused to quit the deck although wounded, was knocked overboard in beating up to our anchorage, and, I am sorry to say, was drowned.

The Royal George must have received very considerable injury in her bull and in men, as the gun vessels with a long 32 pounder were seen to strike her almost every shot, and it was observed that she was reinforced with troops four different times during the action.

It was thought by all the officers in the squadron that the enemy had more than thirty guns mounted at Kingston, and from 1000 to 1,300 men. The Royal George protected by this force was driven into the inner harbor, under the protection of the musketry, by the Oneida, and four small schooners fitted out as gun boats ; the Governor Tompkins not having been able to join in the action until about sun

down, owing to the lightness of the winds, and the Pert's gun having burst the second or third shot. I have the honor to be, &c.


Gen. Van Rensselaer to the Secretary of War.

H. Q. LEWISTOWN, October 14, 1812. SIR“As the movements of the army under my command, since I had the honor to address you on the 8th inst. bave been of a very important character, producing consequences serious to many individuals ; establishing facts actually connected with the interest of the service and safety of the army; and as I stand prominently responsible for some of these consequences, I beg leave to explain to you, sir, and through you to my country, the situation and circumstances in which I have had to act, and the reasons and motives which governed me; and if the result is not all that might have been wished, it is such, that when the whole ground shall be viewed, I shall cheerfully submit to the judgment of my country.

In my letter of the 8th inst. I apprized you that a crisis in this campaign was rapidly advancing; and that (to repeat the same words) the blow must bc soon struck, or all the toil and expence of the campaign go for nothing; and svorse than nothing, for the whole will be tinged with dishonor.'

Under such impressions, I had on the 5h inst. written to Brigadier-General Smyth, of the U. States' forces requesting an interview with him, Major-General Hall, and the commandants of the U. States' regiments, for the purpose of conferring upon the subject of future operations. I wrote Major-General Hall to the same purport. On the 11th, I had received no answer from Gen. Smyth ; but in a note to me on the 10th, Gen. Hall mentioned that Gen. Smyth had not yet then agreed upon any day for consultation.

In the mean time, the partial success of Lieut. Elliot, at Black Rock, (of which however, I have received no official information) began to excite a strong disposition in the troops to act. This was expressed to me through various channels in the shape of an alternative ; that they must have orders to act ; or at all hazards, they would go home. I

forbear here commenting upon the obvious consequences to me personally, of longer withholding my orders under such circumstances.

I had a conference with——as to the possibility of getting some person to pass over to Canada and obtain correct information. On the morning of the 4th, he wrote to me that he had procured the man who bore his letter to go over. Instructions were given him; he passed over--obtained such information as warranted an immediate attack. This was confidently communicated to several of my first officers, and produced great zeal to act ; more especially as it might have a controling effect upon the movements at Detroit, where it was supposed Gen. Brock had gone with all the force he dared spare from the Niagara frontier. The best preparations in my power were, therefore, made to dislodge the enemy from the Heights of Queenston, and possess ourselves of the village, where the troops might be sheltered from the distressing inclemency of the weather.

Lieut. Coi. Fenwick's flying artillery, and a detachment of regular troops under his command, were ordered to be up in season from Fort Niagara. Orders' were also sent to Gen. Smyth to send down from Buffaloe, such detachments of his brigade as existing circumstances in that vicinity might warrant. The attack was to have been made at 4 o'clock in the morning of the 11th, by crossing over in boats from the old ferry opposite the Heights. To avoid any embarrassment in crossing the river, (which is here a sheet of violent eddies) experienced boatmen were procured to take the boats from the landing below to the place of embarkation. Lieut. Sim was considered the man of greatest skill for this service. He went ahead, and in the extreme darkness, passed the intended place far up the river; and there, in a most extraordinary manner fastened the boat to the shore and abandoned the detachment. In the front bout he had carried nearly every oar which was prepared for all the boats. In this agonizing dilemma, stood officers and men whose ardor had not been cooled by exposure through the night to one of the most tremendous north-east storms, which continued , unabated, for 28 hours, and deluge ed the whole camp. The approach of day light extinguished every prospect of success, and the detachment returned to camp. Col. Van, Rensselaer was to have commanded the detachment,

« PreviousContinue »