Page images

Mr. Oxholm telegraphed me that this message had been handed to the King immediately after its receipt and that official reply would follow later.

The King received congratulatory messages from the heads of nearly all the European states and from other sovereigns. The King of England honored him with a commission as general in the English army and the Emperor of Germany sent a special envoy with an autograph letter of congratulations to His Majesty.

Though it had been announced, in accordance with the King's wish, that the day was not to be considered the occasion for ceremonious observance or special festivities, celebrations were held throughout the Kingdom and in the colonies. Flags were seen everywhere, and the streets in the capital, in Fredensborg, and other cities were beautifully decorated, presenting a festive appearance, especially in the evening, when the illuminations added brilliancy to the scene.

The King drove through the streets of Fredensborg after dinner, and was greeted with great enthusiasm and demonstrations of affection. His Majesty's loyal subjects gave strong proof on this anniversary of the love, esteem, and veneration they entertain for their aged ruler. He was the recipient of testimonials of such sentiments from all sides. Floral tributes were presented to him, addresses sent in, etc.

No Danish King has been more beloved by the people than is Christian IX. This general devotion to His Majesty is due to his sincere patriotism, his modest and unaffected manners, his purity and nobility of character, and his strong sense of justice and honor. He is true to his motto: "With God for honor and right." He is at heart a man of the people, and has unselfishly consecrated his life to the furtherance of their welfare. He is plain, staightforward, and approachable; and these characteristics, coupled with a correct reserve and an air of distinction, inspire the deepest respect and admiration. He is frank, and, accordingly, incapable of insincerity and double dealing. Devoid of the vanity that so often besets persons in high places, he prefers to do his work quietly and unostentatiously. He dislikes acting for effect and publicity. He well deserves to be called, "the gentleman king." He is a lover of peace, always being eager to exert his influence in its behalf when opportunity offers.

The venerable Monarch bears his eighty-five years well. The condition of his mind as well as of his body in no way suggest senility. Judging from outward appearances, he may live to celebrate the golden jubilee of his reign.

I have, etc.,


Mr. Swenson to Mr. Hay.

No. 323.]

Copenhagen, November 20, 1903.

SIR: Supplementary to my No. 322, of the 18th instant, I have the honor to inclose herein a copy, with translation, of a note from the minister of foreign affairs, conveying the thanks of the King for the President's felicitations and best wishes on the occasion of the fortieth anniversary of His Majesty's reign.

I have, etc.,



The Minister of Foreign Affairs to Mr. Swenson.

COPENHAGEN, November 19, 1903. MR. MINISTER: The King, my august soverign, deeply sensible of the honor which the President of the United States of America has shown him by expressing, through you, his hearty felicitations and best wishes on the occasion of the fortieth anniversary of His Majesty's reign, has charged me to ask you to convey to Mr. Roosevelt His Majesty's most sincere thanks.

Be pleased, etc.,




Mr. Powell to Mr. Hay.

No. 527, Santo Domingo series.]


Port au Prince, April 10, 1903.

SIR: I have the honor to inform the Department of the political events that have recently occurred in the city of Santo Domingo, received by the mail arriving to-day, and which are from reliable sources, no detailed report having been made by the United States consul-general.

The political prisoners confined in the fort in the city on March 23 at 1 p. m., when both the military and civil authorities were at their homes and about two-thirds of the inhabitants of that city were enjoying their noon siesta, were released by some one, and to the number of seventy were supplied with arms and, headed by General Pepin, one of the prisoners, liberated those who had been confined for various crimes. These people were also given arms. Among the political prisoners released was Navarro, the former governor of Monte Christi and the leader in that movement a few months ago, and who had been captured and confined here; another released by the name of General Martines. These men and their followers soon disarmed the few guards on duty, and within a few minutes after their liberation had secured possession of the fortress. At a given signal the partisans of these people in the city, who were opposed to the provisional government under General Vasques, made an attack on the military authorities of the city and afterwards on the police force, and, being successful in both, secured full control of the city. After fighting nearly two hours, many being killed or wounded, General Sanchez, minister of foreign relations, and the postmaster-general, Mr. Castillon, sought asylum at the American consulate, Mrs. Vasques, the wife of the President, going to the Haitian legation. General Pichardo, the minister of war, was made a prisoner and confined in the fortress. Gen. A. W. Gil was named by the insurgents as the provisional President in place of General Vasques. A message was sent by the new Government that the minister of foreign relations and the postmastergeneral were free to return to their homes, which they did, but learning afterwards that they were to be made prisoners, General Sanchez secured asylum at the Italian consulate and Castillon returned to our consulate.

The revolutionists, immediately after securing possession of the city, seized the two Dominican naval vessels, one of which is not much larger than the steam tugs used in towing on our rivers. She was armed with two cannon and named the Colon. The other, the Independencia, is of

the type of the Topeka. Quiet prevailed in the city from March 23 until April 2. From that time up till the departure of the French steamer fighting has been constantly going on, in which many on both sides have been killed. The Atlanta, Captain Turner, arrived on the 2d and landed a party of sailors to protect the consulate and the "La Fé" estate, where is located the office of the mining and railroad companies, American, and where the vice-president, Mr. Adams, and wife, and a party of engineers are stopping. This place is about 4 miles from the city.

General Vasques, it is said, with an army of 3,000 men, reached by a forced march the environs of the city two days before the arrival of the Atlanta, and since that time fighting has been going on. He has occupied three sides around the city, on the highlands which command the city. His position is very strong, as he holds the city at his mercy, and, unless dislodged by the forces of General Gil, will compel the latter to surrender, as he controls all the approaches to the city. Several attempts have been made to dislodge him by the revolutionists, but they have failed, while General Vasques on his side has endeavored to enter the city, but each time has been repulsed with loss. In one point of view the revolutionists have slightly the best of it, as aside from holding the city, they are in possession of the fort, in which there is stored a large amount of arms and ammunition, which is a serious loss to General Vasques.

Captain Turner is acting with the foreign consuls and at the time the mail left was endeavoring to secure an agreement between the opposing forces in the interest of peace, but I believe failed, as firing had again commenced as the vessel was leaving.

The doctor from the Atlanta was giving active assistance to the Red Cross Society in attending to the wants of the wounded. His action, with that of. Captain Turner, has strengthened the feeling of the people in our favor. The Presidente, Vasques's vessel, attempted to bombard the city without previous notice. One shell fell in the court yard of the German consulate, but fortunately did not explode. Captain Turner sent a message to this vessel, requesting firing to cease. the Presidente continued, Captain Turner prepared his vessel for action. The Dominican vessel, seeing this, ceased firing and left, and up to the departure of the mail had not returned.


The next day the Vineta, German naval vessel, arrived, and learning the Atlanta had landed sailors, sent ashore 150 of its crew to protect, as was stated, the German consulate and to look after English interests, and shortly after its arrival an Italian and a Dutch naval vessel reached the harbor, making four foreign naval vessels.

The city is entirely isolated from the outside world, the cables being cut, so that telegrams have to be sent by special messenger to Cotuy, a place about 30 miles from the city. The Clyde steamship New York could only come as far as Macoris, leaving her freight and mail there. The Annex (French) could not leave her cargo, but hopes to land it on her return, if allowed and affairs are more favorable.

I am informed that the streets were being barricaded and that cannon were being placed at the most accessible points, as it was expected that General Vasques would make an attack within a few days. A battle took place on the 5th, the day the mail left for this place. I am informed by the Dominican minister, Mr. Gonzales, that the revolutionists, under General Gil, had made an attack on General Vasques,

and had been repulsed with great loss, four of their leading generals being killed, among whom were Generals Pepin (the leading spirit in the present movement), Navana, and Martinez.

This movement should not be classed as one in favor of the last President, Mr. Jiminez, as it is not. The present movement is as much opposed to Mr. Jiminez as it is to General Vasques, its main object being to make the Hon. Alexandro W. Gil President as the candidate of the Reds or the party of the late General Heureux. * * * I have, etc., W. F. POWELL.

Mr. Powell to Mr. Hay.

No. 541, Santo Domingo series.]

Port au Prince, May 12, 1903.

SIR: I have the honor to state to the Department that the steamer from Santo Domingo arrived after the mail had closed for the States. I was therefore compelled to wait until the departure of this steamer to convey to the Department information I had through private but trustworthy sources. I am able through this medium to inform the Department of the political situation, which I was not able to do when my last dispatch on this subject was written. By letters received it is stated that General Vasquez had the city closely besieged on all sides except its sea front. The revolutionists, on their part, were strongly intrenched, and, besides, strong barricades had been erected in many of the streets leading from the gates into the city. These barricades were well supplied with rapid-firing guns. General Vasquez's force numbered about 2,000 men; the revolutionists one-half this number. General Vasquez established his headquarters at a village known as San Carlos, a place of about 800 houses and a short distance from Santo Domingo. This place is entirely destroyed, not a house standing. General Vasquez made several attempts to take the city by assault, but was repulsed each time with heavy loss. His last attempt was partly successful, as his troops had made a breach in the works of the revolutionists; but the assaulting party not being supported at a critical moment by General Vasquez, the revolutionists rallied and drove Vasquez's force out of their intrenchments, killing the general (Cordew) who led the assault. Vasquez failed to grasp the situation in time. The sudden attack and the failure to receive reinforcements caused a panic in his forces, which eventually ended in a rout, his force scattering and fleeing in all directions, and Vasquez himself had to seek safety in flight. At the time of his defeat the whole Republic was in his favor, with the exception of the city of Santo Domingo. After his defeat he attempted to establish his capital at Santiago. The revolutionists quickly realized their victory, and followed closely after Vasquez to prevent him gathering another force. Vasquez, finding it useless to continue the struggle, and also learning that several provinces he had depended upon had espoused the cause of the revolutionists, left with a chosen few (150) for Puerto Plata, and there embarked on the Presidente for Santiago, Cuba.

Mr. Jimenez arrived at Puerto Plata three days after General Vasquez's departure, and at the time the mail left was at Santiago.

« PreviousContinue »