Page images

No change was made in the officers of the Regiment as they

came from their home stations except in the following cases :

Lieutenant B. L. Aldrich of K Coinpany, who came from the

home station with his company, was not mustered in owing to his

physical condition; Lieutenant Michael Sullivan of D Company

was mustered in, in place of Lieutenant Sylvester W. Wright,

who came from the home station with his company; Chester G.

Wager of the Twenty-first Separate Company, N. G., N. Y.,

Quartermaster-Sergeant, was not mustered in; First Lieutenant

John S. Wilson, who was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the

[ocr errors]

Regiment, resigned, to accept the position of Surgeon of the

Twenty-second Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry.

The officers of the Regiment and the companies constituting it

were as follows:

Colonel, Edward E. lIardin, Seventh U. S. Infantry.

Lieutenant-Colonel, James H. Lloyd, Thirteenth Battalion,

National Guard, New York.

Major, James W. Lester, Fourteenth Battalion, National

Guard, New York.

Major, Austin A. Yates, Fifteenth Battalion, National Guard,

New York.

Surgeon, Lewis Balch, Major and Acting Assistant Surgeon


Chaplain, Hector Hall, D. D.

Adjutant, James J. Phelan, Adjutant Thirteenth Battalion,

National Guard, New York.

Quartermaster, George M. Alden, Quartermaster, Thirteenth

Battalion, National Guard, New York.

Sergeant-Major, V. Swift Martin, Sixth Separate Company,

National Guard, New York.



Seventh Separate Company, Cohoes.- Captain, T. Campbell

Collin; First lieutenant, John J. McGaffin; Second Lieutenant,

Edward J. White.


Twelfth Separate Compar.y, Troy.- Captain, John P. Treanor; First Lieutenant, Rufus M. Townsend; Second Lieutenant,


William Baker.


Twenty-first Separate Company, Troy.---Captain, Merrill M.

Dunspaugh; First Lieutenant, William J. Galbraith; Second

Lieutenant, Michael Sullivan.


Sixth Separate Company, Troy.-- Captain, E. Courtland Gale; First Lieutenant, Henry P. Sherman; Second Lieutenant, Carroll

L. Maxcy.


Major James W. Lester, Commanding.


Eighteenth Separate Company, Glens Falls.-- Captain, Loyal

L. Davis; First Lieutenant, Seldon W. Mott. Bishop L. Aldrich

was the Second Lieutenant in the National Guard and went to

Camp Black, was taken sick and not mustered.

Daniel J. Hogan was appointed Second Lieutenant by tele

gram from Governor on day of muster. Telegram received

too late and Hogan was mustered as Sergeant. He immediately

began duty as Lieutenant and later on was commissioned and

mustered as Lieutenant, with rank as of the date of the original

muster of the company.


Ninth Separate Company, Whitehall.-- Captain, Ernest A. Greenough; First Lieutenant, Emmet J. Gray; Second Lieuten

ant, Alanson D. Bartholomew.


Thirty-second Separate Company, Hoosick Falls.- Captain,

Frank L. Stevens; First Lieutenant, Walter A. Wood, Jr.; Second

Lieutenant, Louis E. Potter.


Twenty-second Separate Company, Saratoga Springs.--- Cap.

tain, Amos C. Rich; First Lieutenant, John A. Schwarte; Second

[merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small]

Forty-sixth Separate Company, Amsterdam.-Captain, Darwin

E. Vunk; First Lieutenant, George Huglies; Second Lieutenant,

Daniel Masten.


Thirty-seventh Separate Company, Schenectady.- Captain,

Frank Bauder; First Lieutenant, George M. Crippen; Second

Lieutenant, Albert Wells.


Thirty-first Separate Company, Mohawk.-- Captain, Horatio

P. Witherstipe; First Lieutenant, Delos M. Dodge; Second Lieu

tenant, Wilbur Eddy.


Thirty-sixth Separate Company, Schenectady.-- Captain, J. M.

Andrews, Jr.; First Lieutenant, George de B. Greene; Second

Lieutenant, Donald Hutton.

[ocr errors]

Notwithstanding almost incessant rain during the entire time

at Camp Black, the Regiment received great benefit from the

drills at this camp and the men hardened down into real soldiers.

It was jocosely remarked by some of the men that the physical

examination to which they were subjected was unnecessary, as

any man who was alive at the time the Regiment was mustered in, must be witbout any doubt physically sound.

On the 18th of May the Regiment started, pursuant to orders

received May 15th, for Chickainauga, Ga. The large Sibley tents

were taken down; breakfast was had early and the tents, camp

equipage and rations were hauled to the railroad station and

loaded onto the trains. Two days travel rations were issued to

each of the companies and at 9.30 a. m. the Regiment moved out of canıp. At 10.30 a. m. the first section, carrying one-half of the

Regiment, pulled out from the station, followed in a few moments by hy the second section with the rest of the Regiment. The trains were run to Long Island City, where the troops were put aboard

a large ferryboat, which landed them at the pier of the Central

Railroad of New Jersey in Jersey City. Here a train of three

[ocr errors]

sections, composed of antique cars of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, freshly painted on the exterior, were found waiting

for the Regiment. One battalion was put aboard each section

and after a delay of nearly two hours, during which an additional

car was added to each section so as to give each man a whole

seat, the sections pulled out of the station. The first section was

in charge of Colonel Hardin and carried Companies A, B, C and

D. The second section was in charge of Lieutenant-Colonel Lloyd and carried Companies E, F, G and H; and the third section was in charge of Major Lester and carried Companies I, K, L and M. Although the sections left Jersey City less than ten

minutes apart, they became three or four hours apart before


The route taken was over the Central Railroad of New Jersey and the Philadelphia & Reading to Philadelphia; thence, via the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, through Baltimore and Washington to Parkersburg, and thence, via the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railway to Cincinnati. Froin Cincinnati the route lay over the Queen & Crescent to Chattanooga, and the Chattanooga Valley, Rome & Columbus Railroad to Lytle Station, Chickamanga Battlefield. When the first section arrived at Washington an order was received from the War Department directing that Private Edward Murphy, 2d, of A Company, be detached from the Regiment, and that he report at once to the War Department to receive a Commission as Captain and Assistant Adju


The first and second sections arrived at Lytle, Ga., late in the evening of the 20th, and the third section about ten a. m. of

the 21st.

The first section came through without much trouble, but sev. eral cars in both the second and third sections were condemned by the inspectors for broken flanges, defective air brakes or flat wheels, and each car, as it was condemned, was replaced by another old car. The third section, which arrived at Chattanooga at dusk on the 20th, was side-tracked in the city and pulled out to Lytle the next morning, where it joined the rest of the Regiment. The Regiment went into Camp on Saturday, the 21st, in the southeastern part of the National Military Park just north

of the intersection of the Thedford Ford Road with the Dalton

Ford Road.

At first the Regiment suffered from a lack of good water, but after three or four days the pipe line was laid out in rear of the

[ocr errors][ocr errors]
« PreviousContinue »