« PreviousContinue »
be enlarged by the Comptroller, if he think fit, and upon such terms as
he may direct.
32. Before the delivery on sale of any article to which a registered design has been applied, the proprietor of such design shall, if such article is included in any of the classes one to twelve in the third schedule hereto, cause each such article to be marked with the abbreviation "RD" and the number appearing on the certificate of registration, and shall, if such article is included in the classes thirteen or fourteen in the third schedule hereto, cause each such article to be marked with the abbreviation "REG" (t).
(t) See s. 51, page 103.
33. On such days and during such hours as the Comptroller shall from time to time determine and notify by a placard posted at the Patent Office, any person paying the prescribed fee may, on production of the number of any design of which the copyright has ceased, inspect such design, and any person paying the prescribed fee may take a copy or copies of such design (u).
(u) For information as to existence of copyright, see s. 52, page 104, and s. 53, page 105. For prescribed fee, see Designs Rules, first schedule, page 253.
Certificate by Comptroller.
34. Where a certificate is required for the pur- in legal propose of any legal proceeding or other special purpose as to any entry, matter, or thing which the Comptroller is authorised by the said Act or these rules to make or do, the Comptroller may, on a request in writing and on payment of the prescribed fee, give such certificate, which shall also specify on the face of it the purpose for which it has been requested as aforesaid (v).
(v) For form of request of certificate for use in legal proceedings, see Designs Rules, second schedule, form I, page 259. For form of certificate for use in legal proceedings, see form J, page 260. For prescribed fees, see Designs Rules, first schedule, page 253.
Searches on Production of Sketch of Design.
35. The Comptroller may, on receipt of the pre- Search. scribed fee, make searches among the designs registered at the Patent Office after the commencement of the Act, and inform any person requesting him so to do whether a particular design produced by such person, and to be applied to goods in any particular class, is or is not identical with or an obvious imitation of any design applied to such goods and registered since the commencement of the Act (w).
(w) See s. 53.
Industrial and International Exhibitions.
36. Any person desirous of exhibiting a design, Notice of or any article to which a design has been applied,
Repeal of previous rules.
at an industrial or international exhibition, or of publishing a description of a design during the period of the holding of the exhibition, shall, after having obtained from the Board of Trade a certificate that the exhibition is an industrial or international one, give to the Comptroller seven days' notice in writing of his intention to exhibit the design or article, or to publish a description of the design, as the case may be.
For the purpose of identifying the design in the event of an application to register the same being subsequently made, the applicant shall furnish to the Comptroller a brief description of the nature of the design, accompanied by a sketch or drawing thereof, and such other information as the Comptroller may in each case require (a).
(a) See s. 57, page 108.
37. All general rules and regulations made by any authority under the Acts relating to the Copyright of Designs, and in force on the 31st December, 1883, shall be, and they are hereby repealed as from that date without prejudice nevertheless to any application then pending (y).
(y) For saving as to existing rules, see s. 115, page 167.
J. CHAMBERLAIN, President of the Board of Trade.
21st December, 1883.
1. On application to register one design to be applied to single articles in each class except classes 13 and 14
£ s. d.
0 10 0
2. On application to register one design to be applied to single articles in classes 13 and 14 3. On application to register one design to be applied to a set of articles for each class of registration
4. On notice of appeal to Board of Trade against
5. Copy of certificate of registration, each copy
7. On request to enter name of subsequent proprietor
8. On notice to comptroller of intended exhibition of an unregistered design
9. Inspection of design of which the copyright has expired, for each quarter of an hour
10. Copy of one such design.
11. On request to correct clerical error
12. On request for search under section 53
1 0 0
1 0 0
0 1 0
13. On request to enter new address.
15. For certifying office copies, MSS. or printed
£ s. d.
0 5 0 004
(but never less than 18.)
NOTE.-The term "set" to include any number of articles ordinarily on sale together irrespective of the varieties of size and arrangement in which the particular design may be shown on each separate article.
CHARLES C. COTES,
President of the Board of Trade.
HERBERT J. GLADSTONE,
Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty's Treasury.
Application for Copy of Certificate of Registration 258
Request for Certificate for use in Legal Proceedings 259
Request for Correction of Clerical Error or for
Entry of New Address