Page images

Landed, placed sentinels at the houses to prevent alarm, and set fire to the vessel, which was nearly ready to launch; she was a stout well built vessel to mount 14 guns, and would probably have been launched in about ten days. A small store-house, which contained stores for the vessel, was unavoidably burnt, as it was 30 near the vessel that it took fire from her.

Lieutenant Gregory learned from the inhabitants that much property had been sent up a few days previous, that a company of the Glengary regiment had been stationed there, but had been sent to York a few days before; another company was on its way from Kingston to replace them. The few militia which had been left to guard the vessel and property, retreated upon the approach of our boats. As soon as the vessel was entirely consumed, lieutenant Gregory re-embarked his men without having permitted one of them to enter a house ; finding the alarm so general, he thought prudent to cross the lake immediately; he stopped one day at Oswego for refreshment, and arrived here last evening, having performed a most difficult service with his usual gallantry and good conduct.

Lieutenant Gregory speaks in the highest terms of sailing-master Vaughan, and Mr. Dixon, as well as the men under his command, for their patient endurance of hunger and fatigue, and the zeal with which they performed every part of their duty.

I think, in justice to these brave men, that they ought to be allowed something for the destruction of this vessel: they have, however, every confidence in the justice and liberality of the government, and submit their case most cheerfully to its decision.

I have the honour to be, &c.

ISAAC CHAUNCEY. Honourable William Jones, Secretary of the Navy.



On Tuesday the 28th instant, being then in latitude 48, 56, north, and longitude 11, 15, west, we fell in with, engaged, and after an action of nineteen minutes, captured his Britannic majesty's sloop of war the Reindeer, William Manners, esquire, commander.

Where all did their duty and each appeared anxious to excel, it is very dillicult to discriminate. It is, however, only rendering them their werited due, when it is declared of lieutenants Reily and Bury, 1st and Sd of this vessel, and whose names will be found among those of the conquerors of the Guerriere and Java; and, of Mr. Tillinghast, 2d lieutenant, who was greatly instrumental in the capture of the Boxer ; that their conduct and cour

age on this occasion fulfilled my highest expectations and gratified every wish. Sailing-master Carr is also entitled to great credit for the zeal and ability with which he discharged his various duties. The cool and patient conduct of every

officer and man,

while exposed to the fire of the shifting gun of the enemy, and without an opportunity of returning it, could only be equalled by the animation and ardor exhibited when actually engaged, or by the promptitude and firmness with which every attempt of the enemy to board was met and successfully repelled. Such conduct may be seen, but cannot well be described.

The Reindeer mounted sixteen 24 pound carronades, two long 6 or 9 pounders, and a shifting 12 pound carronade, with a complement (on board) of 118 men. Her crew were said to be the pride of Plymouth.

Our loss in men has been severe, owing in part to the proximity of the two vessels and the extreme smoothness of the sea, but chiefly in repelling boarders. That of the enemy, however, was infinitely more so, as will be seen by the list of killed and wounded on both sides.

Six round shot struck our hull, and many grape which did not penetrate far. The fore-mast received a 24 pound shot, which passed through its centre, and our rigging and sails were a good deal injured.

The Reindeer was literally cut to pieces in a line with her ports her upper works, boats and spare spars, were one complete wreck. A breeze springing up next afternoon, her fore-mast went by the board.

Having received all the prisoners on board, which from the number of wounded occupied much time, together with their bag. gage, the Reindeer was on the evening of the 29th set on fire, and in a few hours blew up. I have the honour to be, &c.

J. BLAKELEY. Honourable William Jones, Secretary of the Navy.

KILLED AND WOUNDED.—The loss on board the Reindeer, was 25 killed and 42 wounded, total 67. On board the Wasp, 5 killed and 21 wounded, principally in boarding; among the latter, midshipmen Langdon and Toscan, both of whom expired some days after the action.

SUN-SET, PHILADELPHIA, July 14th, 1814. SIR,

In consequence of information received from general Foreman, at a late hour on the 11th instant, that four of the enemy's barges had been repulsed by a party of militia at Elkton, but that they were expected to return the succeeding night in greater force, I was induced to order lieutenant Morgan of the navy, to march 250 of the officers and seamen attached to the flotilla, to his assist

ance, for the defence of that place and the adjaeent country. The above officers and sailors were embarked in a few minutes, and you will not think them inactive, when I inform you that in s hours and 47 minutes, the whole detachment, completely armed, reached the court-house at Elkton, carrying with them two heavy pieces of travelling artillery, notwithstanding the roads were excessively bad, and the night very dark and rainy. Disappointed in meeting the enemy, and his not evincing any disposition to return, lieutenant Morgan, with the detachment of sailors (master's mate Stockton, and 12 seamen left with a field piece to co-operate with captain Gale, excepted,) returned yesterday to the flotilla, by my orders, their place being supplied by captain Gale, and lieutenant Hall, with some marines from the navy yard, added to lieutenant Kughn and the detachment of marines of the Guerriere, all of whom reached Elkton early yesterday afternoon.

On lieutenant Morgan's leaving the flotilla with the detachment of sailors, I ordered lieutenant Gamble, attending the equipment of the Guerriere, to proceed to New Castle with the seamen and marines to supply their place. On lieutenant Morgan's return to the flotilla, lieutenant Gamble with the seamen he brought with him returned to Philadelphia; and it is with much satisfaction I inform you, that the alacrity and zeal with which all these changes were made, does infinite credit to the officers, seamen and marines concerned in the same.

Captain Gale, with the detachment of marines, after proceeding as far as Cecil Furnace, will return again to Philadelphia (by the way of New Castle,) should there be no immediate necessity for his being longer absent.

I am now about to organize a corps, consisting of 100 seamen, who can be transported across in four hours at any time, with the assistance that is promised me by the proprietors of the New Castle line of stages.

I have the honour to be, &c.

JOHN ROGERS. The Secretary of the Navy.

PORTSMOUTH, July 15th, 1814. SIR,

I have the honour to inform you, that yesterday morning gun-boat No. 88, commanded by sailing-master George Clement, fell in with and captured, off this harbor, a Chebacco boat, tender to the Tenedos, commanded by her 2d lieutenant, having also on board two midshipmen, and ten seamen and marines.

She had taken, the morning previous to her being captured, a small coasting boat, which was also re-taken by Mr. Clement.

The prisoners have been given in charge of the marshal, and left here this morning for Salem.

I have the honour to be, &c.

ISAAC HULL. Honourable William Jones, Secretary of the Nary.


On the 20th the army moved and encamped in the rear of Fort George. General Scott, with the van, had some skirmishing before the main body came up; but as the enemy kept close to their works, nothing important occurred. No force was left in our rear; the Heights were abandoned to the enemy, and we did hope that the movement would have induced him to re-occupy them, or close in nearer to us, so as to bring on an engagement out of his works. In this we were disappointed. The army returned to-day, and found a body of militia and a few regulars in and about the Heights. General Porter pursued with his command and a few regulars, and was so fortunate as to come up with and capture seven officers and ten privates. They will be sent to Greenbush.

I have the honour to be, &c.

JACOB BROWN. Honourable John Armstrong, Secretary of War.


On the 23d instant, I received a letter by express from general Gaines, advising me, that on the 20th the heavy guns that I had ordered from the harbor, to enable me to operate against forts George and Niagara, were blockaded in that port, together with the rifle regiment that I had ordered up with them.

I had ordered these guns and troops in boats, provided the commodore should not deem it prudent or proper to convey them in his fleet, not doubting but that he would have been upon the lake for their protection, and that the enemy would have been driven into port or captured. As general Gaines informed me, that the commodore was confined to his bed with a fever, and as he did not know when the fleet would sail, or when the guns and forces that I had been expecting would even leave Sackett's Harbor, I have thought it proper to change my position, with a view to other objects. You know how greatly I am disappointed, and therefore I will not dwell upon that painful subject. And you can best perceive how much has been lost by the delay; and the command of lake Ontario being with the enemy-reliance being placed on a different state of things.

The Indians all left me some time since. It is said that they will return, but this you will perceive depends on circumstances: The reinforcement ordered on from the west have not arrived.

I have the honour to be, &c.

JACOB BROWN: Honourable Secretary of War, Washington,


BUFFALO August, 1814. SIR,

Confined as I was, and have been, since the last engagement with the enemy, I fear that the account I am about to give may be less full and satisfactory, than under other circumstances it might have been made. I particularly fear, that the conduct of the gallant men it was my good fortune to lead, will not be noticed in a way due to their fame, and the honour of our country.

You are already apprized that the army had, on the 25th ultimo, taken a position at Chippewa. About noon of that day, colonel Swift, who was posted at Lewistown, advised me by express, that the enemy appeared in considerable force in Queenstown, and on its heights; that four of the enemy's fleet had arrived during the preceding night, and were then lying near fort Niagara, and that a number of boats were in view moving up the streight. Within a few minutes after this intelligence had been received, I was further informed by captain Denmons of the quarter master's department, that the enemy was landing at Lewistown, and that our baggage and stores at Schlosser, and on their way thither, were in danger of immediate capture. It is proper here to mention, that having received advices as late as the 20th from general Gaines, that our fleet was then in port, and the commodore sick, we ceased to look for co-operation from that quarter, and determined to disencumber ourselves of baggage, and march directly for Burlington Heights. To mask this intention, and to draw from Schlosser a small supply of provisions, I fell back upon Chippewa.

As this arrangement, under the increased force of the enemy, left much at hazard on our side of the Niagara, and as it appeared by the before stated information, that the enemy was about to avail himself of it, I conceived that the most effectual method of recalling him from this object, was to put myself in motion towards Queenstown. General Scott, with the first brigade. Towson's artillery, and all the dragoons and mounted men were accordingly put in march on the road leading thither, with orders to report, if the enemy appeared, and to call for assistance, if that was necessary. On the general's arrival at the falls, he learned that the enemy was in force directly in his front; a narrow piece of woods alone intercepting his view of them. Waiting only to give this information, he advanced upon them. By this time assistant adjutant general Jones had delivered his message, the action began, and before the remaining part of the division had crossed the Chippewa, it had become close and general between the advanced corps. Though general Ripley with the second brigade, major Hindman with the corps of artillery, and general Porter at the head of his command, had respectively pressed forward with ardor, it was not less than an hour before they were brought to

« PreviousContinue »