Page images

in the rear, and cross the fire of the Gov. Tompkins. Lt. M'Pherson in the Hamilton, Lieut. Smith in the Asp, and Mr. Osgood in the Scourge, were directed to anchor close to the shore, and cover the landing of the troops, and to scour the woods and plain wherever the enemy made his appearance. All these orders were promptly and gallantly executed. All the vessels anchored within musket shot of the shore, and in ten minutes after they opened upon the batteries, they were completely silenced and abandoned.

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

Our troops then advanced in three brigades, the advance led by Col. Scott, and landed near the fort, which had been silenced by Lieut. Brown. The enemy, who had been concealed in a ravine, now advanced in great force to the edge of the bank to charge our troops. The schooners opened so well directed and tremendous a fire of grape and canister, that the enemy soon retreated from the bank. Our troops formed as soon as they landed, and immediately ascended the bank, charged and routed the enemy in every direction, the schooners keeping up a constant well directed fire upon him in his retreat towards the town. Owing to the wind's having sprung up very fresh from the eastward, which caused a heavy sea directly on shore, I was not enabled to get the boats off to land the troops from the Madison and Oneida, before the first and second brigades had advanced. Capt. Smith with the marines, landed with Col. M'Comb's regiment, and I had prepared 400 seamen, which I intended to land with myself, if the enemy had made a stand; but our troops pursued him so rapidly into the town and fort George, that I found there was no necessity for more force; moreover, the wind had increased so much and hove such a sea on shore, that the situation of the fleet had become dangerous and critical. I therefore, made a signal for the fleet to weigh, and ordered them into the river, where they anchored immediately after the enemy had abandoned fort George. The town and forts were in quiet possession of our troops at 12 o'clock, and the enemy retired in a direction towards Queenstown.

Capt. Perry joined me from Erie on the evening of the 25th, and very gallantly volunteered his services, and I have much pleasure in acknowledging the great assistance

which I received from him. We lost but one killed and two wounded, and no injury done to the vessels.


Com. Chauncey to the Secretary of the Navy.

U. S. Ship Madison, Sacket's Harbor, June 4, 1813. SIR-I have the honor to present to you, by the hands of Lieut. Dudley, the British standard taken at York, on the 27th of April last, accompanied by the mace, over which hung a human SCALP.-These articles were taken from the Parliament house by one of my officers, and presented The scalp I caused to be presented to Gen. Dearborn, who I believe still has it in his possession. I also send by the same gentleman, one of the British flags taken at fort George on the 27th of May.

to me.

I have the honor to be, &c.


Lieut. Chauncey to Com. Chauncey.

Sackett's Harbor, June 18, 1813. SIR-According to your orders of the 14th inst. I proceeded off Presque Isle in the schooner Lady of the Lake. On the morning of the 16th I fell in with and captured the English schooner Lady Murray, from Kingston bound to York, loaded with provisions and ammunition.

Enclosed is a list of one ensign, 15 non-commissioned officers and privates found on board, with 6 men attached to the vessel.

I have the honor to be, &c.


Battle at forty mile Creek, Upper Canada.

Gen Vincent having taken his stand at forty mile Creek, about 33 miles from fort George, after his defeat at the fort, Brig. Gen. Winder was sent in pursuit of him. On the 4th of June, Brig. Gen. Chandler, with another detachment, was sent off from fort George to reinforce Gen. Winder, and arrived at Head Quarters the 5th. A deserter from the American camp informed Gen. Vincent of the situation of the army, and gave him the countersign; in five minutes the whole English army were in motion, and at two. 'clock on the morning of the 6th entered our camp. The

[ocr errors]

two Generals, Winder and Chandler, in endeavoring to form the troops, and the deputy quarter-master General Vandeventer, were surrounded and taken prisoners. Our army formed immediately and attacked the enemy at the point of the bayonet, which soon occasioned a general route, the enemy taking off his prisoners, and leaving Col. Clarke, sixty prisoners, and 250 killed in our hands. Our loss was 17 killed, 38 wounded, and 100 missing.

Gen. Brown to the Secretary of War.

H. Q. Sackett's Harbor, June 1, 1813.

[ocr errors]

SIR-On the 25th ultimo, I received a letter from Gen. Dearborn, requesting me to repair to this post for the purpose of taking command. Knowing that Lieut. Col. Backus, an officer of the first regiment of dragoons, and of experience, was here, I hesitated, as I would do no act which might wound his feelings. In the night of the 26th I received a note from this officer, by Maj. Swan, deputy quarter-master Gen. joining in the request already made by Maj. Gen. Dearborn. I could no longer hesitate, and accordingly arrived at this post early in the morning of the 28th. These circumstances will explain how I came to be in command upon this occasion. Knowing well the ground, my arrangements for defence, in the event of an attack, were soon made.

In the course of the morning of the 28th, Lieut. Chauncey, of the navy, came in from the lake, firing guns of alarm. Those of the same character, intended to bring in the militia, were fired from the post. The enemy's fleet soon after appeared accompained by a large number of boats. Believing that he would land on the peninsula, commonly called Horse Island, I determined to meet him at the water's edge with such militia as I could collect, and the Albany volunteers, under the command of Lieut. Col. Mills; Lieut. Col. Backus, with the regulars, formed a second line; the care of fort Tompkins was committed to the regular artillerists and some volunteers, and that of Navy Point to Lieut. Chauncey of the navy. If driven from my position, Lieut. Col. Backus was ordered to advance and meet the head of the enemy's column, while rallying my corps. I was to fall on its flanks. If unable

here to resist the enemy's attack, Lieut. Chauncey was in that case to destroy the stores, &c. and retire to the south shore of the bay, east of Fort Volunteer, while I proceeded to occupy that fort as our dernier resort.

In the course of the 27th and during the nights of the 28th and 29th ultimo, a considerable militia force came in, and were ordered to the water side, near Horse Island, on which was Lieut. Col. Mills and his volunteers. Our strength at this point was now 500 men-all anxious for battle, as far as profession would go. The moment it was light enough to discover the approach of the enemy, we found his ships in line between Horse Island and Stony Point, and in a few minutes afterwards 33 large boats filled with troops, came off to the larger Indian or Garden Island, under cover of the fire of his gun boats. My orders were, that the troops should lie close, and reserve their fire till the enemy had approached so near that every shot might hit its object. It is, however, impossible to execute such orders with raw troops, unaccustomed to subordination. My orders were in this case disobeyed. The whole line fired, and not without effect--but in the moment while I was contemplating this, to my utter astonishment, they rose from their cover and fled. Col. Mills fell gallantly in brave but vain endeavors to stop his men. I was personally more fortunate. Gathering together about 100 militia, under the immediate command of Capt. M'Nitt of that corps, we threw ourselves on the rear of the enemy's flank, and I trust, did some execution. It was during this last movement that the regulars under Col. Backus, first engaged the enemy-nor was it long before they defeated him.

Hurrying to this point of action, I found the battle still raging, but with obvious advantage on our side. The result of this action, so glorious for the officers and soldiers of the regular army, has already been communicated in my letter of the 29th. Had not Gen. Prevost retreated most rapidly under the guns of his vessels, he would never have returned to Kingston.

The enemy's force consisted of 1000 picked men, led by sir George Prevost in person. Their fleet consisted of the new ship Wolf, the Royal George, the Prince Regent. Earl of Moira, two armed schooners, and their gun and other boats.



Killed 21—wounded 84-missing 50.

Killed 39-wounded 112--prisoners 35.

Gen. Lewis to the Secretary of War.


Sackett's Harbor, July 20, 1813. [Extract] SIR-Our fleet has gone out of the inner harbor, and appearances are in favor of its going to sea in $48 hours at farthest.

[ocr errors]


A little expedition of volunteers from the country, to which, by the advice of Com. Chauncey, I lent 40 soldiers, sailed from hence three days since on board of two small row boats, with a six pounder each, to the head of the St. Lawrence, where they captured a fine gun boat mounting a 24 pounder, 14 balteaux loaded with ammunition, 4 officers, and 61 men. Two of our schooners went out and Convoyed them in.

Gen. Harrison to the Secretary of War,

H. Q. Seneca, August 5, 1813. I have the honor to enclose you Major Croghan's report of the attack upon fort Stephenson, which has this moment come to hand. With great respect, &c.



Major Croghan to Gen. Harrison.

Lower Sandusky, August 5, 1813. Dear Sir-I have the honor to inform you that the combined force of the enemy, amounting to at least 500 regulars and seven or eight hundred Indians, under the immediate command of Gen. Proctor, made its appearance before this place, early on Sunday evening last, and as soon as the Gen. had made such a disposition of his troops as would cut off my retreat, should I be disposed to make one, he sent Col. Elliot, accompanied by Major Chambers, with a g, to demand the surrender of the fort, as he was anxious to spare the effusion of blood, which he should probably not have in his power to do, should he be reduced to the necessity of taking the place by storm. My answer to the summons was, that I was determined to defend the place to the last extremity, and that no force however

« PreviousContinue »