Page images

tately. I halted within 400 yards of the fort. Capt. Romayne's company formed the rear guard, and, remaining with it, I marched to this place in good order, destroying the bridges in my rear. The enemy landed six hundred of De Watteville's regiment, six hundred marines, two companies of the Glengary corps, and three hundred and fifty seamen.

Gen. Drummond and Com. Yeo were the land and na val commanders. They burned the old barracks and evacuated the fort about 3 o'clock in the morning of the 7th.

Our loss in killed is six; in wounded 38-and in missing, 25. The enemy lost 70 killed, and 165 wounded, drowned, and prisoners,

Gen. Brown to the Secretary of War. '

H. Q Chippewa, July 7, 1814. [Extract.] SIR-On the 2d inst. I issued orders for crossing the Niagara, and made arrangements deemed necessary for securing the garrison of fort Erie-the 3d, that post surrendered, at 5 P. M. Our loss in this affair, was 4 wounded.-137 prisoners, including 1 Major, 1 Capt. 3 Lieuts and 1 ensign, with the ammunition and cannon belonging to the post were surrendered to us."

[ocr errors]

On the morning of the 4th, Brig. Gen. Scott, was ordered to advance towards Chippewa, and be governed by circumstances; taking care to secure a good military position for the night; after some skirmishing, he selected this plain with the eye of a soldier, his right resting on the river, and a ravine being in front. At 11 at night I joined him, with the reserve under Brig. Gen. Ripley, with our field and battering train, and corps of artillery. The next morning Gen. Porter arrived with a part of the Pennsylvania and N. York volunteers, and some Indians. Early in the morning of the 5th, the enemy commenced a petty war upon our pickets, and, as he was indulged, his presumption increased,

At 4 P. M. agreeably to my orders, Gen. Porter advanced from the rear of our camp, taking the woods in order to keep out of view of the enemy, in hopes of surrounding their scouting parties. In half an hour Porter's command met the light and drove them to camp; and near Chippewa, met their whole column in order of battle. I

[ocr errors]

immediately ordered Gen. Scott to advance with his brigade, and Towson's artillery, who met them upon the high plain in front of our camp. He advanced in the most officerlike style, and in a few minutes was in close action, with a superior force of British regulars. Gen. Porter's command had given way, and fled in every direction, which caused Scott's left flank to be greatly exposed. Capt. Harris, with his dragoons, was directed to stop the the fugitives, behind the ravine fronting our camp; Gen. Ripley was directed to pass to the left and skirt the woods, so as to keep out of view, and fall upon the rear of the enemy's right flank. This order was promptly obeyed, and the greatest exertions made to close with the enemy, but in vain; for such was the zeal and activity of the line commanded by Gen. Scott, that it was not to be checked. Maj. Jessup, commanding the left flank, finding himself pressed in front and flank, and his men falling fast around him, ordered his battallion to support arms, and advance ;* the order was promptly obeyed, ainidst a most deadly and destructive fire. He gained a more secure position, and returned upon the enemy so galling a discharge, as caused them to retire. By this time their whole line was falling back, and our gallant soldiers pressing upon them, when they broke their lines, and ran to regain their works. In - this effort he was too successful, when the guns opened immediately upon our line, and checked, in some degree, the pursuit. At this moment, I determined to bring up my ordnance, and force the place by a direct attack; Major Wood, of the engineers, and Capt. Austin, my aid, rode to the right of their line of works and examined them; I was induced by their report, to order the forces to retire to camp, till a future time.

[blocks in formation]


Capt. Blakeley to the Secretary of the Navy. U. S. S. Wasp, L'Orient, July 8, 1814. SIR-On Tuesday the 28th ult. being then in latitude. 48, 36 N. and long. 11, 15 W. we fell in with, engaged,

and after an action of 19 minutes, captured his Britannic majesty's sloop of war Reindeer, William Manners, Esq. commander.

At half past 12, P. M. the enemy shewed a blue and white flag diagonally at the fore, and fired a gun. At 1, 15, called all hands to quarters, and prepared for action; 1, 22, believing we could weather the enemy, tacked ship and stood for him; 1, 50, the enemy tacked ship and stood from us; 1, 56, hoisted our colors and fired a gun to windward; at 2, 20, the enemy still standing from us, set the royals; at 2, 25, set the flying gib; at 2, 29, set the upper staysails; at 2, 32, the enemy having tacked for us took in the staysails; at 2, 47, furled the royals; at 2, 51, seeing that the enemy would be able to weather us, tacked ship; at 3, 3, the enemy hoisted his flying gib-brailed up our mizen; at 3, 15, the enemy on our weather quar-. ter, distant about 60 yards, fired his shifting gun, a 12 pound carronade at us, loaded with round and grape shot from his top-gallant forecastle; at 3, 17, fired the same gun a second time; at 3, 19, fired it a third time; at 3, 21, fired it a fourth time; at 3, 24, a fifth shot, all from the same gun. Finding the enemy did not get sufficiently on the beam to enable us to bring our guns to bear, put the helm a-lee, and at 26 minutes after 3, commenced the action with the after carronade on the starboard side, and fired in succession; at 3, 34, hauled up the mainsail; at 3, 40, the enemy having his laboard bow in contact with our larboard quarter, endeavored to board us, but was repulsed in every attempt; at 3, 44, orders were given to board in turn, which were promptly executed, when all resistance immediately ceased, and at 3, 45, the enemy hauled down his flag.

The Reindeer mounted sixteen 24 lb. carronades, two long 6 or 9 pounders, and a shifting 12 lb. carronade, with a complement on board of 118 men. Her crew was said to be the pride of Plymouth.

The Reindeer was literally cut to pieces in a line with her ports; her upperworks, boats, and spare spars, were one complete wreck. A breeze springing up the next afternoon, her foremast went by the board.

Having received all the prisoners on board, which from the number of wounded occupied much time, together with

their baggage, the Reindeer was on the evening of the 29th set on fire, and in a few hours blew up.

I have the honor to be, &c.



Killed 5-wounded 21.


Killed 23-wounded 42.

Gen. Brown to the Secretary of War.

Buffalo, Aug. 17, 1814.

[Extract.] SIR-You are already apprised that the army had on the 25th ult. taken a position at Chippewa. About noon of that day, Col. Swift, who was posted at Lewistown, advised me by express, that the enemy appeared in considerable force in Queenston, and on its heights; that four of the enemy's fleet had arrived during the preceding night, and were then laying near fort Niagara, and that a number of boats were in view, moving up the strait. Within a few minutes after this intelligence had been received, I was further informed by Capt. Denmon, of the quarter master's department, that the enemy were landing at Lewistown, and that our baggage and stores at Schlosser, and on their way thither, were in danger of immediate capture. Gen. Scott, with the 1st brigade, Towson's artillery, and all the dragoons and mounted men, were accordingly put in march on the road leading to Queenston, with orders to report if the enemy appeared, and to call for assistance if that was necessary. On the General's arrival at the Falls he learned that the enemy was in force directly in his front—a narrow piece of woods alone intercepting his view of them. Waiting only to give this information he advanced upon them. By the time Assistant Adj. Gen. Jones had delivered his message, the action began; and before the remaining part of the division had crossed the Chippewa, it had become close and general between the advance corps. Though gen. Riply with the 2d brigade, Major Hindman with the corps of artillery, and Gen. Porter as the head of his command, had respectively pressed forward with ardor, it was not less than an hour before they were brought to sustain Gen. Scott, during which time his command most skilfully and gallantly

maintained the conflict. Upon my arrival I found that the General had passed the wood and engaged the enemy at. Queenston road, and on the ground to the left of it, with the 9th, 11th, and 22d regts. and Towson's artillery. The 25th had been thrown to the right to be governed by circumstances. Apprehending that these corps were inuch exhausted, and knowing that they had suffered severely, I determined to interpose a new line with the advancing troops, and thus disengage gen. Scott and hold his brigade in reserve. Orders were accordingly given to gen. Ripley. The enemy's artillery at this moment occupied a hill which gave him great advantages, and was the key of the whole position. It was supported by a line of infantry. To secure the victory, it was necessary to carry this artil lery and seize the height. This duty was assigned to Col. Miller, while, to favor its execution, the 1st regiment, under the command of Col. Nicholas, was directed to menace and amuse the infantry. To my great mortification, this regiment, after a discharge or two, give way and retreated some distance before it could be rallied, though it is believed the officers of the regiment exerted themselves to shorten this distance. In the mean time, Col. Miller, without regarding this occurrence, advanced steadily and gallantly to his object, and carried the height and the cannon. Gen, Ripley brought up the 23d (which had also faultered) to his support, and the enemy disappeared from before them. The 1st regiment was now brought into line on the left of the 21st, and the detachments of the 17th and 19th, Gen. Porter occupying, with his command the extreme left. About the time Col. Miller carried the enemy's cannon, the 25th regiment, under Maj. Jessup, was engaged in a more obstinate conflict with all that remained to dispute with us the field of battle. The Maj. as has been already stated, had been ordered by Gen. Scott, at the commencement of the action, to take ground to his right. He had succeeded in turning the enemy's left flank-had captured (by a detachment under Capt. Ketchum) Gen. Riall and sundry other officers, and shewed himself again to his own army, in a blaze of fire, which defeated or destroyed a very superior force of the enemy. He was ordered to form on the right of the 2d regiment. The enemy rallying his forces, and as is believed, having received reinforcements, now attempted

« PreviousContinue »