Page images

Note.-The following valuable property was taken on board the fleet, to wit:-11,800 lbs. of powder exclusive of fixed ammunition-85,000 lbs. of cannon ball-6000 muskets600 suits of sailors' clothing, and all the winter clothing of the whole of their land army.

Gen. Macomb to the Secretary of War.

Plattsburg, Sept. 12, 1814. [Extract.] SIR--I have the honor to inform you that the British army commanded by sir George Prevost, consisting of four brigades, a corps of artillery; a squadron of horse, and a strong light corps, amounting in all to 14,000 men, after investing this place on the north of the Saranac river since the 5th inst. broke up their camp and raised the siege this morning at 2 o'clock, retreating precipitately, and leaving their sick and wounded behind. The strength of this garrison is only 1500 men fit for duty!!

The light troops and militia are in full' pursuit of the enemy, making prisoners in all directions. Upwards of 300 deserters have already come in, and many arrive hourly. Our loss in the fort is trifling indeed, having only one officer and 15 men killed, and one officer and 30 men wounded.

Vast quantities of provision were left behind, and destroyed; also an immense quantity of bomb shells, cannon ball, grape shot, ammunition, flints, &c. &c. intrenching tools of all sorts, also tents and marquees. A great deal has been found concealed in the ponds and creeks, and buried in the ground, and a vast quantity carried off by the inhabitants. Such was the precipitance of his retreat, that he arrived at Chazy, a distance of eight miles before we discovered that he had gone.

We have buried the British officers of the army and navy, with the honors of war, and shewn every attention and kindness to those who have fallen into our hands. The conduct of the officers, non-commissioned officers and soldiers of my command, during this trying occasion cannot be represented in too high terms. I have the honor to be, &c. ALEXANDER MACOMB.


Killed 37-wounded 62-missing 20.


Killed 368-wounded 494-prisoners 252-deserted 786.

Burning of Petipauge.--Betweeu 10 and 11 o'clock, P. M. of April 7th, 1814, six British boats were discovered coming into Connecticut river; by 12, a large force of the enemy had taken possession of an old fort at Saybrook Point, where, finding nothing, the fort having been decayed for several years, re-entered their boats, and proceeded for Petipauge Point, 6 miles higher up the river, where they arrived about 4 o'clock. The vessels in the harbor being on fire, first gave notice that the enemy was near. There was not time after the alarm, to get the women and children off, before the enemy had landed, and began burning the vessels on the stocks; they immediately commenced searching the houses and stores, for arms and ammunition, taking ali they could find, and destroying furuture to a considerable amount; liquors of all kinds, when found, after satisfying themselves, were destroyed by staving the casks. There was no opposition to their plunder, although they remained on shore till 10 o'clock, when they called in their men, and proceeded down the river about a mile, with a brig, a schooner, and 2 stoops, where they anchored and lay till dark, when they set fire to their prizes, and proceeded down to their vessels,

Attack on Stonington.--The British fleet off New-London having been reinforced on the 9th August, 1814, a part of it, to wit, one 74, two frigates, a sloop of war, and a brig, appeared off Stonington, when sir Thomas Hardy sent a flag on shore for the information of the women and children, that if the town was not surrendered in one hour, the whole should be laid in ashes. The inhabitants informed sir Shomas, that Stonington was not Petipauge, and prepared their cauuon, 2 long eighteens's, and one 6 pounder for defending themselves. The attack began at 9, at night, and continued till 1 in the morning, with round shot, bombs, and rockets. The militia, 30 in number, returned the fire with great vigor and effect. The attack was renewed next morning, and as warmy resented-their brig, which lay nearest shore, was almost cut to pieces, and one barge, full of men, was sunk, when the enemy withdrew. Our loss was 4 wounded, 2 houses fired, and 2 horses killed. On the 11th they again attacked the place, before which, the humane sir Thomas sent in another de

[ocr errors]

mand for its surrender, accompanied with a threat, that if it was not complied with, he would lay the town in ashes, or sacrifice his whole force, consisting of 13 ships of war. Our little band of Heroes paid little attention to his threat, but went steadily to work at their cannon, and mauled the enemy so, that he was obliged to abandon the expedition.

Gen. Smith to the Secretary of War.

Baltimore, Sept. 19, 1815. [Extract.] SIR-I have the honor of stating that the enemy landed between 7 and 8000 men on the 12th inst. at North Point, 14 miles distant from this city. Anticipating this debarkation, Gen. Striker had been detached on Sunday evening with a portion of his brigade, to check any attempt the enemy might make in that quarter to land; the General took a position on Monday, at the junction of the two roads leading from this place to the Point, having his right flanked on Bear Creek, and his left by a marsh. Here he waited the approach of the enemy, after having sent on an advance corps. Between two and three o'clock the enemy's whole force came up, and commenced the battle by some discharges of rockets, which were succeeded by the cannon from both sides, when the action became general. Gen. Stricker gallantly maintained his ground against this great superiority of numbers, one hour and 20 minutes, when his left gave way and he was obliged to retire to the ground in his rear. He there formed his brigade, but the enemy not thinking it advisable to pursue, he fell back, according to previous arrangements, and formed on the left of my entrenchments. I feel a pride in the belief, that the stand made on Monday, in no small degree, tended to check the temerity of a foe, daring to invade a country like ours. Major General Ross the commander in chief of the British forces, was killed in this action. About the time Gen. Stricker joined my left, he was joined by Gen. Winder, (who had been stationed on the west side of the city,) with Gen, Douglass' brigade of Virginia militia, and the U. S. dragoons, who took post on the left of Gen. Stricker. Meanwhile, Gens. Stansbury and Forman, the seamen and marines under Com. Rodgers, the Pennsylvania volunteers under Cols. Cobean and Findley, the Baltimore artillery under Col. Harris, and the marine

artillery under Capt. Stiles, manned the trenches and batteries-all prepared to meet the enemy.

On Tuesday the enemy appeared in front of my entrenchments, at the distance of two miles, on the Philiadelphia road, and attempted by a circuitous rout, to march against our left, and enter the city; Generals Winder and Stricker were ordered to adapt their movements so as to defeat their intentions, which completely succeeded. This movement induced the enemy to concentrate his forces by one or two o'clock, in my front, pushing his advance to within a mile of our videttes, and shewing an intention of attacking us that evening. I drew Generals Winder and Stricker nearer to the left of my entrenchments, and to the right of the enemy, with the intention of falling on his rear, should he attack me; or, if he declined it, of attacking him in the morning. To this movement, and my defences, which the enemy had the fairest opportunity of observing, I attribute his retreat, which was commenced at 1 o'clock the next morning, in which he was so favored, by the extreme darkness, and continued rain, that we did noi discover it until day light. A considerable detachment was sent in pursuit, but the troops being so worn down by fatigue, that they conld do nothing more than pick up a few stragglers; they completed their embarkation the next day at 1 o'clock.

I have now the pleasure of calling your attention to the brave commander of fort McHenry, Major Armistead, and to the operations in that quarter.

Maj. Armistead had under his command one company of U. S. artillery, two do. sea fencibles, three do. of Baltimore artillery, a detachment from Com. Barney's flotilla, and about 600 militia, in all about 1000 men.

On the 12th, 16 ships, including 5 bomb ships, anchored about two miles from the fort. The next morning at sunrise, the enemy commenced the attack, from his bomb vessels, at the distance of two miles, which was out of our reach. At 2 o'clock one of our guns was dismounted, which occasioned considerable bustle in the fort, killing one and wounding several, which induced the enemy to draw his ships within a good striking distance, when the Major opened a well directed fire upon them for half an hour, which caused them to haul off to their old position,

when our brave little band gave three cheers, and again ceased firing. Availing themselves of the darkness of the night, they had pushed a considerable force above the fort, and formed in a half circle, when they commenced firing again, which was returned with spirit, for more than two hours, when the enemy were again obliged to haul off.

During the bombardment, which lasted 25 hours, on the part of the enemy, from 15 to 1800 shells were thrown by them; 400 of which fell in the fort, threatening destruction to all within, but wonderful as it may appear, only 4 of our men were killed, and 24 wounded.

[blocks in formation]

Gen. Jackson to the Secretary of War.

Mobile, September 17, 1814. [Extract.] SIR-With lively emotions of satisfaction, I communicate that success has crowned the gallant efforts of our brave soldiers, in resisting and repulsing a combined British naval and land force, which on the 15th inst. attacked fort Bowyer, on the point of Mobile.

The ship which was destroyed, was the Hermes, of from 24 to 28 guns, Captain the hon. William H. Percy, senior officer in the Gulf of Mexico; and the brig so considerably damaged is the Sophie, 18 guns. The other ship was the Carron, of from 24 to 28 guns; the other brig's name


On board the Carron 85 men were killed and wounded'; among whom was Col. Nicoll, of the royal marines, who lost an eye by a splinter. The land force consisted of 110 marines, and 200 Creek Indians, under the command of Capt. Woodbine, of the marines, and about 20 artille-` rists, with one four and a half inch howitzer, from which they discharged shells and nine pound shot. They re-embarked the piece, and retreated by land towards Pensacola, whence they came.

[ocr errors]

By the morning report of the 16th, there were present in the fort, fit for duty, officers and men, 158.

I have the honor, &c.


« PreviousContinue »