« PreviousContinue »
5. A judgment at law unless reversed, is conclusive upon the
defendant in every other court, even as to matters of
6. The discretion of a judge refusing a motion to amend a
judgment after fourteen years acquiescence, will not be
JUDGMENT AT LAW.
1. When equity will not interfere with a judgment at law.
See title “ Equity.” Stroup vs. Sullivan and Black
1. In cases of frauds, courts of law and courts of equity
have concurrent jurisdiction. The first of said courts
1. A juror is not disqualified who has formed an opinion
from mere rumour. Hudgins vs. The State
1. When a cause shall be considered as submitted to a jury.
See title “ Nolle Prosequi.” Newsom vs. The State
LETTERS TESTAMENTARY OR OF ADMINISTRATION.
1. When necessary to introduce letters testamentary or of
administration in evidence in trover by an executor or
LEX LOCI CONTRACTUS.
1. The law of the place where an endorsement is made,
governs as to its validity, discharge, &c. See title
1. The law of the court where the suit is instituted governs
the remedy. See title “ Indorser." Ib.
LIMITATIONS OF ACTIONS.
1. The statute of limitations does not run against the State.
LIMITATION OF ESTATES.
1. Where the testator bequeathed certain negroes at his
mother's death to his son Robert, his heirs and assigns
2. If an estate is bequeathed to A in trust for B, during his
life, with power of appointment in B, of the fee by will,
! In order for a demand to be liquidated, it is not necessa-
ry that it should be in writing. Anderson and others vs.
1. The Supreme Court will not grant a mandamus against
a circuit judge, commanding him to certify a second bill
1. When a cestui que trust may make a valid mortgage of
See title “ Cestui
1. A bill filed by the maker and sureties to certain promis-
sory notes, which were given to an administrator for
MURDER, MANSLAUGHTER, JUSTIFIABLE HOMI-
1. The 12th section of the 4th division of the Penal Code,
specifying the case in which homicide is justifiable in
1. An application for a new trial will not be granted on the
ground that the verdict is contrary to evidence, provided
2. The Supreme Court will rarely, if ever, control the dis-
cretion of the circuit judge in granting or refusing a new
1. Under the 326th section of the 14th division of the Penal
Code, no entry of nolle prosequi shall be made after a case
1. No notice of the signing of the bill of exceptions having
been filed in the clerk's office of the court below, case
1. Until there is a severance or destruction of a tenancy in
common, one or more of the co-tenants cannot bring
2. Where there has been a judgment entered up against
the securities on the appeal in the Court below, they
3. Uunder the Judiciary Act of 1799, where both plaintiff
and defendant die before scire facias has issued to make
4. The security to the appeal bond in the Court below must
be made a party to the writ of error. Long and others
Carey vs. Rice
1. Where two or more persons enter into an agreement to
purchase cotton jointly, to advance equal portions of the
2. Partners, as between themselves, may 'alter, modify, or
partially dissolve the co-partnership contract; provided
3. When one partner fraudulently misapplies any portion
of the partnership funds to his own private use with-